Possible Job Change on the Horizon: Detour

I recently had a post about the possibility of changing jobs in the next couple of weeks. I was told that I was going to have an interview on the 14th of September for a position at Toyota Spinelli not far from where I live.

Due to the fact that I didn’t go there and apply for the position, I am not entirely sure what it entails. I was told that it was for a job as a parts driver. I deliver televisions for my current job, so I figured it can’t be much different, plus, the car parts are a lot smaller so I don’t run the risk of injuring myself, so I accepted the offer from my contact.

For the past week, I had been trying to no avail to get in touch with my contact within Spinelli to find out as much as I can about the job. I wanted to know exactly what it is, so that if I’m asked why I want the job or why it interests me I will know what they are talking about.

That’s just the way I am, I like to go into an interview prepared to better sell myself. I tend to research the company or position of interest. I usually try to get into to contact with someone with experience in that line of work. Or, since it is the information age after all, I will research the company or position online. I want to know things like what kind of benefits are expected, what I can expect as a salary and what responsibilities the job entails.

Up until last night I was trying to call my contact to ask him those questions. The only information i found about that job was from the US, but I couldn’t find information for that job in Canada. I got fed up of trying to contact him and not getting any replies to my text messages or phone calls. I decided to call someone who knows him very well and see what I can find out. They called me back about an hour later to tell me that they spoke to my contact and were able to update me on the situation.

As it turns out, Spinelli will call me, but the interview will not be tomorrow like I had originally been told. Last night I was informed that although I am one of the first people Spinelli will call, the interviews have been delayed for another week or so.

Normally it wouldn’t have bothered me to wait an extra week, it’s just that when I asked for the 14th off at my current job, I told my manager it was for a job interview. I told him this because he knew the situation that my current employers are in and was encouraging me to get another job seeing he couldn’t give me full-time hours anymore. Now I have to work an extra week before the interview, with all my coworkers and the three managers asking if and when I’m leaving.

As if that wasn’t enough, they decided me to give full-time hours for the next month, after i told them i had an interview. When I saw the schedule, the owner looked at me and said: “You see Robert? You ask for more hours and when I give it to you, you say you might be leaving.”

I shouldn’t have to put up with that and I don’t want to, but I can’t do a thing about it until a week from now when I finally go in for the job interview.

I think it’s safe to say that I have a stressful week ahead of me and that I’ll probably just be going through the motions for this week, and see what happens come Monday.


2 comments on “Possible Job Change on the Horizon: Detour

  1. Wow it’s always something in this life it seems. Hang in there. I hope it won’t be too rough on you this week.


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: